Tuesday, November 17, 2015

First Interview with Lindsey Stirling

2014 our team had the chance to interview Lindsey Stirling. Here it is:

Lindsey Stirling GER
What is your favorite violin?
Lindsey Stirling:
I prefer the sound of acoustic violins, like my Roth.  As for electric violins, Yamaha’s newer models just keep getting better and better.  I’ve been really happy with them.

LSG:
Which hair color do you prefer most? We know that you asked your fans if you should keep your original brown hair or if you should dye them orange and the fans chose the orange hair.
LS:
Right now I’m fond of the orange; it’s spunky and reminds me of my grandma, who dyed her hair orange till the day she died.  She was so cute and happy and I really miss her.  I was actually thinking of going purple, but as much as I’ve done to my hair lately I’m a little hesitant due to the damage bleaching, etc. would cause.  We’ll see.

LSG:
Are you going to have brown hair again one day?
LS:
I don’t see why not.

LSG:
What is your inspiration for your costumes?
LS:
Shannon Cheek was my main designer when I first started out; we would toss around ideas and eventually come up with a concept we both loved and go with it.  Coming up with modest costumes definitely isn’t easy, but it certainly gets the creative juices flowing haha.  I do the same thing now with whoever I’m working with; I like to have a lot of say/creative control over the final product.

LSG:
In which music video could you implement your original idea for the video best? Before you create a video for one of your songs you have an idea what you want to show in this video. Then you try to interpret your idea in the video. But of course you have to compromise because you don't have the money or something like that to interpret completely your idea.
LS:
Early on I definitely had to improvise and think realistically how I could pull certain things off on a very limited budget.  Ironically though, despite my limited funds at the time and inability to pay 3-D animators at the time, etc., I’m the most proud of the concept behind “Shadows,” and I consider it my most creative work.  I came up with the idea to have a “violin duel” of sorts between myself and an un-cooperative shadow.  All we had to work with was an empty garage, Devin Graham and his film equipment, and a green screen.  Super low-budget haha, but it worked!

LSG:
Do you do any special sports like yoga, kick boxing or something like that?
LS:
I have done both sporadically just for fun, but not consistently.  I used to run cross country and I played soccer in high school.

LSG:
What are your favorite fruits (2 indications)?
LS:
Strawberries and I love apples and bananas with peanut butter. Sometimes I’ll even have a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

LSG:
You are a long time on the road because of your new album and tour. Where do you get all this power?
LS:
Honestly touring is incredibly energizing for me; I love it more than any other aspect of my career.  I think that my lifestyle facilitates my ability to perform as much as I do (I pray for help and strength often, I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, I don’t drink alcohol or smoke, I don’t eat a lot of meat, I don’t drink caffeine or soda, I exercise regularly).  The one thing I could use more of is sleep.

LSG:
Are you able to cook and do you like it?
LS:
I’m a decent cook when I take the time to do it.  I’m no master chef, but I’m pretty good at coming up with simple, healthy meals.  When I have time to cook I enjoy it, as long as I have someone in the kitchen with me to talk to.

LSG:
Where do you see yourself and your music in 10 years?
LS:
I’m not sure; I mean right now I’m focused on short/medium term goals, i.e., the things I want to accomplish in the next year or so.  I would love to see myself still touring and creating music ten years from now, but who knows?  I would love get married and have a few kids.  Maybe do some public speaking.  Or help motivate and change lives of troubled youth through a foundation of some kind….


LSG:
Do you have a technique to reduce your jitters?
LS:
I like to be alone in a room alone where I can focus and warm up, I snack on fruit, and I always pray before I go on stage.

LSG:
Do you already have plans what you want to do after your tour?
LS:
Spend time with family, relax, go to Disneyland, write a Christmas cover, make another YouTube video, and I quite a few publicity things have been set up and are waiting for me when I get back home.

LSG:
What is your most difficult/elaborate music video?
LS:
I think Stars Align took the most time and effort due to all of the special effects and animation; but as far as production, Roundtable Rival definitely took the most organization and collaborative effort as a whole.


LSG:
What was your favorite show in Germany?
LS:
Impossible to choose; Germans are an amazing crowd all around!

LSG:
When is your biography going to be released?
LS:
It’s hard to say; Brooke is still tweaking it and we are working on finding a publisher right now.  If we can’t find someone to publish it in the next year or so I will probably self-publish.   Brooke is a master; the way she writes and how she tells the stories is hilarious!

Written by Andreas S. Janke

No comments:

Post a Comment